Stephen Huzar '93 took advantage of the testamentary charitable remainder unitrust as a way to give to the two things he is most passionate about: family and Texas A&M University.
A Life Story Legacy
“The ‘give it twice’ trust was a perfect fit for me,” said Stephen Huzar ’93. “I don’t have children, but I do want to leave my sister and niece a safety net during their remaining lifetimes. This gift enables me to do that while also being a good steward of what the Lord has given me.”
While a “give it twice” trust fit financially, this Aggie’s life story is what inspired his gift. When he was 13, Huzar’s father, formerly a rocket scientist for NASA during Project Apollo, declined to failing health. “My mom effectively became a single parent and was very influential to me,” he explained. “When the question of college arose, I scraped up money through summer jobs, while my mom helped me find scholarships and financial aid. Without scholarships and my experiences at Texas A&M, my life would be drastically different.”
Huzar’s involvement in the Corps of Cadets set him on a different trajectory. “The tragic events just prior to college matured me, but I lacked confidence,” he said. “The Corps helped me overcome the past and prepared me to purposefully navigate life for the decades to come. Years later, I realized how much of my success was due to my Corps experiences, so I felt inspired to pave the way for future cadets.”
Since earning his degree, the former student has become a successful CPA and uniquely weaves the Aggie core value of selfless service into his life. “I help lead and travel to Russia for an orphan ministry and, separately, serve on the board of a new church that I am helping establish in Colorado,” Huzar shared. “I also have a love for biblical archaeology, which has compelled me to bring current Aggie cadets with me on annual trips to Israel.”
Huzar’s gift will provide a payment stream for his sister and niece during their remaining lifetimes and support the charitable causes he is passionate about. At the end of the trust’s life, 90% of the remaining assets will be given to Texas A&M for Corps of Cadets scholarships and other university programs. The trust’s flexibility allows him to easily use the other 10% to support his ministries as well.
Huzar said he wants his legacy to serve the greater good. “As a Christian, I believe earthly ‘stuff’ is meaningless in the long run. When people pass away, the only thing that truly belongs to them is their life story. That’s what I care about—sharing the earthly possessions I’ve been blessed with in the hope that the Lord continues to use them to write similar stories through others.”
If you are interested in creating a “give it twice” trust, contact Angel a Throne ’03 below.